Basic Gut Health Protocol
- Reduce Inflammation-causing agents / toxins
- Balance the good bacteria in the gut
- Increase Digestive “Fire”
FIRST STEP: REDUCE INFLAMMATION
- Reduce wheat, dairy, soy, corn, refined sugar. Also, conventionally grown meat.
- Reduce inflammatory substances: alcohol, antibiotics, birth control pills, synthetic drugs. These damage the gut flora, leading to a weakened gut lining and leaky gut.
- Drink Bone Broth: Heals and seals the gut, helps to fix leaky gut. Check out these instructions of making your own bone broth. It isn’t difficult.
- Increase Gelatin or collagen: helps to heal the gut lining and improve the muscus layer. Adding collagen (as a powder) to your smoothie is easy. Check out this recipe.
- Introduce L-Glutamine: Heals the gut lining. Feeds the lining in the gut. FYI – Can be over stimulating to brain cells.
- Consume Turmeric: reduces inflammation, though needs fact and black pepper to be fully absorbed. Such as coconut oil.
- Introduce zinc carnosine and quercetin supplements (amino acid and antioxidant that helps to produce organs). Zinc carosine helps to heal cells.
SECOND STEP: BALANCE THE GOOD BACTERIA
- Eat fermented foods: improve the health of the gut flora. Note, if you are sensitive to histamines (allergies) then skip this step as fermented foods generally have a lot of histamines causes allergy type reactions.
- Take probiotic capsules: 10 to 50 billion CFUs per day taken with food. Start smaller, with 10 billion CFUs a day to avoid bloating, skin rashes, gas, other common side affects.
- Take digestive enzymes: easiest and most beneficial step to start. Juice Plus has digestive enzymes in them already. Take before.
- Chew food thoroughly: chewing starts digestive enzymes. Plus it will slow you down enough to eat less, meaning that you body has the time to tell you that you are no longer hungry, hormonal signals.
- Add fiber to their diet. 35 – 45 grams each day. Again, start slowing to avoid constipation, gas and bloating. 12 – 24 hours is the correct transit time. 😉
- Consume resistant starch (pre-biotic): selectively stimulates the good bacteria. Lentils, chick peas, potatoes that have been cooked and cooled. Like from the crock pot.
THRID STEP: Light Digestive Fires (stomach acid)
- Reflux, burping, etc are signs that you need to change up the digestive “fires” or change the stomach acids
- Lemon Juice: hottish water
- Apple Cider Vinegar (15-30 before meals, or after meals to fix reflux) . Liquid apple cider vinegar can be harmful for the teeth. Pill supplementation is available and beneficial.
- Digestive Bitters: Increases the digestive “juices”
- Beet Root (good for cardio vascular
- Goldenseal root
- Milk Thistle (healthy for the liver as well)
- Yellow Dock
- HCL or hydrochloric acid
- More advanced step and is recommended that you work with a functional medicine practitioner.
- Read more here
- DO NOT take with any anti-inflammatory medicines. Greatly increases the risk of bleeding or ulcer.